Usage Guidelines when using folders in SPD workflowsWhen using automated folders in SharePoint lists you have to pay attention. To what exactly, is shown below.
- The name of folders are set in the field "Title". That also means these values have to be unique.
- That also means, for folder lookups, general items should not use the "Title" field. Consider creating a new field for those items' names. Items having folders' titles can lead to false lookups (and combined lookups are not possible in SPD workflows)
- Before creating folders in a workflow, you should always make sure that the folder does not already exist.
- Before moving items into a folder, you should make sure that the folder exists.
- When you have folders, you should also use folder level security (when you need some kind of permission management)
This should wrap things up for using folders in SharePoint lists. If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment.